Monday, September 13, 2010

So I'm going to give this a shot

So I have never been someone who was good at keeping a journal. I just don't have the commitment and dedication required and I have unfinished journals still from both my trip to Dominican in 2003 and to New Zealand in 2008. Nevertheless I have somehow convinced myself that this time will be different. Perhaps the fact that I can type it instead of writing will help to convince me. Also I plan to be travelling alone and I'm bringing my netbook with me so theoretically I should have some downtime where I can compose my thoughts, feelings, memories, and experiences.

The Trip
I have to admit that this is probably the most unorganized trip I have ever gone on. This will also be the first time I travel on my own. My original plan was to take a year off between my undergraduate degree and grad school but I decided that I was too antsy and I didn't want to hold off for that long. Now instead I will be spending three months touring Southeast Asia starting and finishing in Bangkok, Thailand. Along the way I will travelling though Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. So yes this is pretty much what I have planned but I don't know a whole lot more. From what I've been able to gather from past people's experiences things never go according to plan anyway so I figured why bother in the first place?

What I do know
I have a flight booked to land in Bangkok on Sept 14 and to leave again on Dec 14. I addition I have booked mt first two nights stay at a hostel in the Khao San district of Bangkok which is supposed to be a backpackers paradise. Hopefully this will help to get me started and I will get to meet some other travelers to get some advice from and travel with. I plan to meet up with my high school friend Ange for her birthday in Vietnam who will be touring Asia with her IDS buddies Tiana and Ania. Also my friend Jess who is currently living in England plans to come visit me in Bali during her fall vacation.

Now I'm leaving in a few hours to catch my flight and I have to admit that I'm a little scared not knowing what lies ahead of me. There are the usual concerns about the risks of travelling alone, what if I get robbed or my luggage gets lost, etc. I've been warned by a lot of people that you can't trust people and the risks of con artists and all that but I think I need to trust that I will also meet some wonderful people along the way and make many new and hopefully lasting friends.

1 comment:

  1. Good attitude dude! Catch you in Viet Nam ;) Have fun!!!! We're leaving in like two hours...Solidarity in the air amiga.

    ReplyDelete